Travel Industry COVID-19 Research & Resources
Last updated February 25, 2021, at 2 p.m.
Research on COVID-19's Impact on Georgia's Travel Industry
- Explore Georgia COVID-19 Dashboard
- Georgia Tourism Forecast Scenarios
- Georgia Year-Over-Year Trends in Arrivals - March - July 2019-2020
- University of Georgia COVID-19 Study: Free Partner Research Opportunity
Estimated Economic Impacts of the Accommodation and Food Services Job Losses During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Technical Reports for the State of Georgia and select MSAs (based on data availability) from the University of Georgia’s Hospitality and Food Industry Management Program
We're sure you are trying to sort through the avalanche of information, research, and opinions circulating in the tourism and hospitality industry regarding the impact of COVID-19. It can be overwhelming and frustrating. So, we've culled through the most recent information, read the research and articles, and attended the webinars for you. Below is a roundup of what we consider to be the best, most relevant, and up-to-date information.
Please contact Director of Tourism Research, Dr. Ashley Barfield, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any research questions.
- ADARA: Travel Trends Index of domestic hotel and flight booking volumes and windows
- AirDNA COVID-19 Data Center and Reports
- Arrivalist: Daily Travel Index of consumer road trips for all 50 U.S. States
- Aviation Public Health Initiative at Harvard University
- Destination Analysts
- COVID-19 Travel Sentiment Survey Key Findings and Updates Blog
- COVID-19 Research Hub - sign up for the key findings newsletter and weekly webinar, or purchase/subscribe to full reports
- Longwoods International COVID-19 Sentiment Research:
- Miles Partnership
- MMGY Global COVID-19 Resources Hub:
- Simpleview COVID-19 Reports and Resources Hub
- Skift: (Skift Research Reports are available for individual purchase or with either an annual or monthly subscription.)
- Airbnb and the Short-Term Rental Market 2020
- EU Traveler Profile and Key Statistics: The Impact of COVID-19
- Skift Recovery Index (updated weekly)
- Skift Research Global Travel Outlook 2021
- The Impact of COVID-19 on the Hotel Industry
- The Impact of COVID-19 on the Online Travel Industry
- Travel Marketing During COVID-19
- Travel Winners and Losers During the 2008 Financial Crisis: Lessons for COVID-19
- The Hotel Industry and COVID-19: Lessons from 9/11 and SARS
- U.S. Travel Tracker October 2020: Slow Climb Continues
- U.S. Travel Tracker November 2020: Travel's Dark Winter
- U.S. Travel Tracker December 2020: Further Slip
- U.S. Travel Tracker January 2021: Hope Amid Continued Hiatus
- STR COVID-19 Hotel Industry Impact Hub
- Tourism Economics:
- Travel Industry Employment through January 2021
- Weekly Coronavirus Impact on Travel Expenditures in the U.S. (December 3 update)
- Weekly Coronavirus Impact on Travel Expenditures in the U.S. (December 10 update)
- Weekly Coronavirus Impact on Travel Expenditures in the U.S. (December 17 update)
- No updates were made for the weeks of December 19 onward due to transition to a monthly data delivery model.
- Weekly Coronavirus Impact on Travel Expenditures in the U.S. (January 22 update)
- Travel and Tourism Research Association COVID-19 Resources Hub
- Travel Security Administration: Checkpoint Travel Numbers for 2019 and 2020
- U.S. Travel Association
- U.S. Travel Association Fact Sheet: Travel's Dramatic Losses in 2020
- U.S. Travel Association COVID-19 Travel Industry Research Hub
- U.S. Travel Association Travel Forecast - Spending and Visitation Impacts (November 2020)
- Getting Back to Business: Navigating the Safe Return of Meetings and Their Role in Economic Recovery (November 2020)
- Brand USA COVID-19 Research Webinars:
- COVID-19 International Market Update (January 2021)
- Destination Analysts: Weekly Coronavirus Travel Sentiment Index Webinars and Recordings
- Destinations International: multiple webinars focused on COVID-19
- Expedia Group: COVID-19 Webinar Series and Recordings
- Miles Partnership: Clarity in a Time of Crisis Webinar Series
- MMGY Global: Webinars, Podcast and Interviews - Register for upcoming presentations and watch previous recordings here.
- Outdoor recreation:
- American Trails:
- Georgia Conservancy with Georgia Municipal Association and Explore Georgia: Outdoors as Assets and Placemaking
- Rails to Trails Conservancy:
- STR: There are regular U.S. & Canada Hotel Performance webinars.
- Travel and Tourism Research Association: View past webinar recordings in the YouTube playlist.
- U.S. Travel Association:
International Contractor COVID-19 Updates
- COVID-19 support group for DMOs - Destination Think: "For destination marketers, place marketers, and tourism professionals who are working to lead their destinations through the COVID-19 pandemic and toward recovery. Share solidarity, support, and intelligence with DMOs around the world."
- Explore Georgia Partners Group: Facebook group hosted by Explore Georgia exclusively for tourism and hospitality industry professionals in the state.
- Tourism Industry COVID-19 Resource Group: Facebook group focused on community sharing, created and managed by tourism professionals throughout the country.
- The Travel Tribe: Facebook group created by destination marketer Jennifer Barbee focused on education and information for tourism professionals. Barbee has been conducting Facebook Live events to discuss the latest COVID-19 news and updates.